Did you ride your bike to work before Bike 2 Work Month
this year?
I just moved at the end of April, specifically to be closer
for commuting and hoping to ride my bike and walk more. Before that we were in
Lake City, which took about an hour to commute from. I really wanted to start
my bike commuting from the new place on the first day of Bike to Work Month but
up until the night before my bike was broken. I knew that if I didn't fix it I
wouldn't have another opportunity that was as good to jump start riding so I
spent all night beforehand trying to get it ready. That’s what I got the award
for.
Have you learned anything from biking to work?
I’ve learned that riding my bike is faster than taking the
bus. I have a really easy route so I get to work in 15 minutes. Even going
home, which is uphill – it’s faster for me to bike most of the way and put my
bike on the bus for the last 8 blocks – the most brutal part – than to catch
the bus from downtown.
Do you think you’ll keep biking once Bike to Work Month
is over?
I think I will but I will also try to walk more for the
additional exercise.
Have you seen anything fun on your rides in?
Yesterday I rode to Jackson and Maynard and was waiting at
the bus stop – it was so hot out. A little old lady at the bus stop pointed at
my bike and at my helmet and said, “Good for your health!” and then she gave me
an apple from her grocery bag.
Charla Lemoine is the GGLO Bike2Work Award winner for
Week 1 of Bike to Work Month. She won her award for staying up all night
ensuring her bike was prepped for the ride in on Day 1. During that night she
learned the long way that there is a quick release lever for her bike’s front
tire, which would have spared her from disassembling the whole thing.
